Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Things That Make My Heart Beat Faster

The smell of rain at dusk, a scent so familiar

it takes me back to the countryside of another yesterday;


the taste of your lips grazing mine, still moist, 

and the butterflies linger after you’re gone;


the sound of your laughter mingling with mine,

a lava lamp bubbling, just waiting to explode;


when the irises of your eyes darken and expand,

and I can feel the passion skim over your skin;


when I hold my breath as truth slips through my fingers

and I’m unsure whether you’ll catch me as I fall;


the feel of your fingers grasping mine because you know

that I don’t speak a love language, though it flutters under my skin;


soft music on strings that loses itself in the ridges of my auricle, 

the smooth bow whispering sweet-nothings into my ear;


your voice when you say my name an octave too low,

a murmur that leaves me breathless for words;


a poem so well written it takes on a life of its own

and I let it take my breath away in its stanzas.

No comments:

Post a Comment